Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Unloading


(This picture has nothing to do with anything, but it is blah, just like I feel)

Tonight I'm in a bit of a reflective and chatty mood, so please indulge me while I unload my whirling mind....
So, as you know, there has been a bit of a recession the past year. If I had a dollar for every time I hear about the "bad economy" I'd be rich. SO rich. And I understand, I do. I understand that people need to pay bills and buy food before they can indulge in pictures. My services are pretty low on the list of needs.
So that brings me to my second job. My family actually wanted food too, funny enough, so I went out and found a job to help fill in the gaps that the recession had made in my business.
First I found a job at a glamorous (ha ha) shoe store. I filled the hours finding the right fit for some very picky customers with an array of food problems. I organized handbags according to brand, color (from light to dark of course), style, and size. I signed people up for the ever important member privileges program. I also felt demeaned and like it was a huge waste of time. So when another opportunity came, I jumped at it.

My second, second, job is at least related to my field of interest and expertise. I take newborn pictures for a hospital. It seemed a perfect fit...adorable newborns, photography, making more money. What's not to love? So far it's been pretty good. EXCEPT for the limited posing, lighting, cropping, and camera settings we're allowed to use. It's like there is a tourniquet on my creativity. I still am grateful for the job though, and the security it gives my family right now.

But I am DYING to be creative again. I feel like I have a mental block and am doomed to the static day to day ho hum. My husband noticed this void in my life and had so kindly encouraged me to get out there and shoot (with my camera, of course) a couple of times a week just for myself. Anything. I just need to make time to photograph something that I am not needing to make money on, something that makes me smile, whether it is someone's adorable kid, a cute couple, or a street sign. I don't know, just ANYTHING.

So watch out for some more interesting posts. I am wanting to post a new self-assignment each week. I am hoping this pledge won't just evaporate into thin air like so many of my resolutions do. Hopefully you can help me with that. If there is a "you" out there (with the exception of about 3 people I wonder if this blog is ever even seen). Thank you , by the way, to those of you who leave comments. Anyways, thanks for listening to me tonight as I ramble away. Wish me luck on my creativity burst. :)

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Hey Emily,
Just wanted to let you know that I love looking at your blog. You are so talented! We love the photos you took of us. Never again will I have an inexperienced photographer at Target take a cheesy looking photo of my children ever again! You do an awesome job : )

rachel thurston said...

I support you 210%. Nothing worse than a creative block. I love you and I love your deep passion for photography and finding your inner voice. When you come to California to shoot that wedding, lets take photos of everything! xxoo.

Anonymous said...

Do it do it do it! (Imagine that more as a chant from down here in Alabama) we are so amazed and proud of you and what you do. I await anxiously to see what you post!

Jason Work said...

Following this pledge is how you're going to win a Pulitzer. Seriously.

Emily Hatch said...

Thank you so much everyone! I deeply appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Rach, I just want to publicly thank you for being my biggest source of inspiration. You've always lit my creative fire. :)

Anonymous said...

Your husband is a smart guy. You've got to just get out there and do what you love, even if there's no monitary reward. When I get discouraged at not having a reporter job, I pick a newspaper article or current event and write a story about it, then deliver it to myself. Makes me feel like I can still do something good, even if no one else appreciates it.

Don't for a second believe you are not creative. We all have blocks, you'll get through it and take some of the best pictures EVER!

And... I agree completely about everyone complaining about the "resession" and "Bad economy." Its gotten to be like nails on a chalkboard.